Thursday, February 21, 2008

in loving memory of dad...

i've been thinking about this blog post for a while... wondering how i could ever do it justice. my dad, scott j keyser, passed away last week - feb. 12 - from cancer. what more can i say to desribe him than the best dad i could have ever asked for? i've had a few request for the letter that i read at his funeral. so i thought i'd post it here.

dad's letter to me while i was on my mission:

Dear Natalie,
Just a quick note to let you know that you are never far from my thoughts. I pray all is well with you and you are enjoying your MTC experience. We keep getting reminded that you aren’t here. Yesterday, while preparing dinner, your mother had to make the white sauce for the cauliflower, and you weren’t here to help with the dishes. Bridger seemed lost without Natalie to play with. I miss hearing about the drama in your life (your mother is sleeping better now) and I eagerly wait your first letter. Checking the mail has much more urgency now. Natalie, please remember how pleased the Lord and your parents and family are with the decisions you have made and your preparations for this period of your life. We love you and we pray for you continually. I look forward to reading a detailed description of what is happening in your life.

my letter to dad for his funeral:

Dear Dad,
Just a quick note to let you know that you are never far from my thoughts. I know that all is well with you and that you are enjoying your spiritual experience. We keep getting reminded that you aren’t here. The VCR that wasn’t working last week still isn’t working today, and the chair that you always sit in is empty. And we all seem lost without dad to play with. I miss telling you about the drama in my life and I eagerly wait to see you again someday. Dad, please remember how pleased the Lord and your wife and kids are with the decisions you made and your preparation for this period of your life. We love you and will always remember your example of righteousness. I look forward to giving my children a detailed description of you and your life.

segment from another letter i received from my dad while on my mission: (dad's testimony)

I know that the Joseph Smith Story is true. The book of Mormon is true. Christ atoned for our sins, He was crucified and resurrected that we may someday live as resurrected beings with our Father in Heaven if we will humble ourselves and do his will.

he was truly a man of faith...




5 comments:

lpettey said...

Natalie I looked on Marta's blog and saw your name. I wanted to say hello and tell you what a great tribute to your dad. My mom died when I was 14 and it's such a great blessing to have the gospel in our lives. It's nice and comforting to know that will be with them again.
love,
Linzi Pettey

Linda said...

Nat, that was so great to read! I really wish I could have come out to Utah. Your dad was always really special to me. whenever I was needing "home" I'd go to your parents house when I lived out there. Your mom and dad are always so welcoming. But just sitting around talking to my uncle-- I loved it!

Also, whenever Elder Scott speaks I think of your dad...perhaps there is a slight physical resemblance, perhaps it is his quiet demeanor, or maybe just because he is such a great man...not sure.

Thanks for sharing those letters. So beautiful!

The Thomas Family said...

Thanks Natalie. I'm sure the funeral was a wonderful tribute to your wonderful father. I loved Uncle Scott (he was the nicest to me)... should i have written that. Oh well!!!
And me too, I always think of your dad when I hear Elder Scott speak, they do look alike!

brittani c. said...

Nata,
I heard about your dad through Abba. I'm so sorry. It's been forever since I've heard about what you've been up to, but I saw pictures of you on marta's blog (don't know her very well, but I found her cute site from ali smith) and it made me excited to see that you're both married AND pregnant. Congrats!!! You'll have to post pictures when the little bundle of joy comes.
Love ya,
Britta

maryirene said...

natalie, i am so sorry. i had no idea that this was so recent. i am overwhelmed at the number of friends i have that have lost a parent so young, and yet what strength they seem to face it all with. i am grateful for your testimony of eternity and the hope that brings to all of us. God bless you and your family at this time!